1. Paso Robles is home to more than 200 wineries! Paso Wine offers great tools to help you plan your itinerary. Or, visit Pianetta Winery's Tasting Room in downtown Paso Robles to learn our favorite stops in the area.
2. Spanish conquistadors and Franciscan missionaries introduced wine grapes to Paso Robles in the 1790's. Mission San Miguel, located minutes from Pianetta Winery's Vineyards, was among the first places wine was produced in the area.
3. The California Mid-State Fair, first started in 1946, is hosted in Paso Robles, and draws over 400,000 visitors during a two week span every summer. Come see Pianetta Winery at the Fair this year!
4. The "Templeton Gap," a break in the Santa Lucia mountain range, allows cool air from the coast to make its way to Paso Robles. This creates temperature swings within a 24 hour period of up to 50 degrees- creating a climate that produces wonderfully complex local wines. Pianetta wines are all grown in the Paso Robles area, and benefit from the phenomenal weather changes.
5. About two-thirds of Paso Robles wineries produce less than 5,000 cases per year, classifying them as boutique wineries. Pianetta Winery produces only 3,400 cases every year. Because we make 10 different wines, that leaves only a few hundred cases of each for our wine club, and tasting room in downtown Paso Robles.
6. The most common varietals of wine in Paso Robles are: Cabernet, Merlot, Syrah, Zinfandel, and Grenache. Though Pianetta Winery has been making delicious Estate Cabernet and Estate Syrah since 2002, this year marks the first year we present to you Pianetta Grenache! Stop by the tasting room in downtown Paso Robles to taste Pianetta wines.
7. Paso Robles is not only known for wine, but has been called "California's oldest watering place" for more than 200 years. Today, there are still three locations that offer a dip in Paso Robles' natural mineral baths: River Oaks Hot Springs, Paso Robles Inn, Franklin Hot Springs. Grab a bottle of Pianetta wine, take a dip, and enjoy everything Paso Robles naturally has to offer.